Wednesday, July 23, 2008


This is the end of the day and I grew sleepy listening to my tape..so I dressed for bed and then decided that I would write in my blog...I did my first baking since coming here and I baked a coconut chess pie to take down to our Pizza Party evening..I didn't have any cornmeal so I went down the hall to my friend, Ramona, and she had some and loaned it to me...we had our meal downstairs tonight and it really was a nice meal, meat loaf, new potatoes, asparagus, tossed salad and dessert of carrot cake..really yummy..the size of the serving of meatloaf was so large that Paul and I brought half of it back to the apartment to use for meatloaf sandwiches for tomorrow noon lunch...it is really a nice cool night..I have my bedroom window open and a nice cool breeze is coming in thru the window..today went pretty well except when I wanted Paul to tell me if he would go to Evergreen Commons on Friday morning for a buffet breakfast, he wouldn't commit so I told him that I was asking Steve and Eileen (if she could) to go with us and I needed to call in the morning and make reservation and told him that I would ask him again in the morning...oh, and last evening while I was down play dominos with friends, Paul dressed himself up with his dress pants, nice shirt and suspenders and came down and joined us for the last 30 minutes..they invited him to come down next week and I thought that this week if he wanted we could try playing (our dominos from Fenton) before and if he felt up to it he could come down and join in...we only have one man and I know he would love to have Paul join us...he can also just come down and be with us without playing...I always invite him whenever I go down to play games but so far this is the only time he has shown any interest...I am now going to play some games on the computer before retiring...so goodnight and love and prayers from Mary, Mom, Grandma, Friend, and Aunt

3 comments:

sarah said...

Hi Grandma,

Coconut chess pie? I've never heard of that.. what does the 'chess' part mean? It reminds me of a checkered cake (like a chessboard) that I used to make - you use circular dividers in the cake pans and alternate the cake batter so it comes out in a checkered pattern. I hardly ever have the time and energy to bake at the moment.. I think its about time I made some cinnamon rolls or something!

I'm glad to hear that you're both doing so well at the moment..

Love from England!

x

Amy Michele said...

Hi Mary,

I was wondering, could you share your recipe for that Coconut Chess Pie? And any baking tips?

I'm on a quest to learn how to make Chess Pies and also to build a collection of best recipes. I start this week practicing (I've only made one Chess Pie in the past and it didn't set correctly) my new found hobby by making a Chess Pie Cake.

I enjoyed reading your blog. Looks as if Sarah wants to know about Chess Pie. :-)

Mary Jenkins said...

Sarah, this is a much simpler recipe than your checkered cake. It is made and simply poured into the crust and baked..I will post it later for you and Amy..I am a little pushed today as I have been sick the last two days (I think I had a food poisoning from the Pizza the other night) and we are going to Fenton tomorrow and Grampa needs clean clothes so I will be washing clothes along with preparing lunch for us....hope you are having a good day...love, Grandma